BUILT ON HISTORY
What was formerly the city park and pool, Sweetland Amphitheatre was built on its history as a spot for friends and families to gather and the home of LaGrange’s cherished Sweet Land of Liberty Parade. Established in 1935 as the City Park or Municipal Park, it became the anticipated summer “hangout” back in the day, with the addition of a swimming pool. Years later, a baseball field was incorporated into the park with assistance from the Callaway Foundation.
On July 4, 2004, the park was renamed for Jim and Annette Boyd. The Boyds started the “Sweet Land of Liberty” parade more than 30 years ago, which is held on the Fourth of July each year, and today still begins at the park – and is the namesake for our amphitheatre. In recent years, the park had become unused and slightly deteriorated.
Designed by The Smith Design Group, the amphitheatre is carved into the existing hillside, creating a tiered bowl. To preserve the memories and image of historic Boyd Park, the original pavilion is rehabilitated and expanded. The pool has been removed to allow for the expansion, accommodating a covered entry to the park as well as new restrooms and concessions to serve the large open green space and amphitheatre. The 40,000 square foot green space, approximately the size of the downtown Square, has decorative lighting and convenient power and water connections for community outdoor affairs including festivals, fairs and fundraising events.
With stadium, table and lawn seating, the amphitheatre seats about 2,000 spectators. Lush landscaping including the bicentennial tree at the front entrance of the park helps set the backdrop for an intimate venue steeped in beauty and history.
WHEN PARTNERSHIPS BLOOM
Merging the history and progress of this community, the amphitheatre project has been made possible by the public-private partnership between the City of LaGrange, Troup County and Callaway Foundation, Inc.